Yuletide Yoga Session Recipes
A "mocktail," a warm cocktail, yummy spicy chocolate, and some peaceful introspection. Merry Meet my yogi friends, and wishing you the happiest of Yuletide celebrations. Whatever your holiday, whomever you choose as family, may you find some quiet moments to celebrate the success of another year passing and look towards the new days to come.
This time of year we are prone to turning in, hibernation, and slowing down. All in preparation for the new year, longer days, and the return of the sun. Try not to be so hard in your personal reflections, but instead find comfort in learning the lessons as they were presented. Speak kindly and plan boldly!
These recipes are perfect for the season:
Sparkling Pom-Chai Mocktail:
1 bottle (3 cups) sparkling apple cider
4 cups brewed caramel chai tea, cooled
2 cups pomegranate juice
Pom Arils for fun
1. Mix all ingredients in bowl, garnish with arils.
1 bottle red wine-I use Merlot
2 cinnamon sticks
3 star anise (or seeds)
pinch of nutmeg
3 TBSP sugar
1. Slice oranges and lemon.
2. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce to medium heat, cover and let steep for 20 minutes.
Garnish with orange slice and cinnamon stick.
Makes 4 servings
Spicy Chocolate Cranberry Bites
Recipe adapted from Today's Dietitian Magazine
11⁄2 cups pitted Medjool dates
1 cup roasted, unsalted whole almonds
2 T cacao powder (if needed, regular cocoa will sub fine)
1⁄4 tsp cayenne pepper
3⁄4 cups dried cranberries
3 T mini chocolate chips
1. Soak pitted dates in hot water for 3 to 5 minutes; drain.
2. While dates are soaking, place almonds in food processor for 10 to 15 seconds until broken into small pieces.
3. Add drained dates (it’s OK if they’re fairly wet),
cacao powder, and cayenne pepper to food processor. Blend for 30 to 45 seconds until well incorporated. If ingredients are sticking to side or bottom, add 1 to 2 tsp of water and process until well incorporated.
4. Add dried cherries and process for additional 20 seconds. Stir in mini chocolate chips. 5. Using your hands, roll mixture into 1-inch size balls and place on parchment paper.
6. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.